The table below lists some of the historical homes in Lancaster Township. Below this table is a drop-down list (> Historical Homes) which includes more information on each property. To read a brief history of Lancaster Township, click HERE.
|PINPOINT ON MAP
|Abraham Herr House
|25 Bentley Lane
|27 Bentley Lane
|27 Bentley Lane
|930 Buchanan Ave
|930 Buchanan Ave
|1008 Buchanan Ave
|1008 Buchanan Ave
|C. Emlen Urban House
|1009 Buchanan Ave
|Hugh Clark House
|1019 Buchanan Ave
|1056 Buchanan Ave
|1056 Buchanan Ave
|1060 Columbia Ave
|St. Mary's Academy
|1063 Columbia Ave
|Weber Carriage House
|1120 Columbia Ave
|James Laird Brown Mansion
|1136 Columbia Ave
|1140 Columbia Ave
|Jacob Miller House
|375 S Conestoga Drive
|House of the Poor and Employment
|900 East King Street
|1501 East King Street
|Gustave Groezinger House
|1001 Marietta Ave
|H.L. Raub House
|1015 Marietta Ave
|James Rose House
|1021 Marietta Ave
|Joseph U. Fritchey House
|1023 Marietta Ave
|John W. Cooper House
|1024 Marietta Ave
|J. Calvin Shutte House
|1025 Marietta Ave
|1035 Marietta Ave
|John F. Brimmer House
|1044 Marietta Ave
|Ira Arnold House
|1109 Marietta Ave
|Wheatland (James Buchanan House)
|1120 Marietta Ave
|Sanderson Detwiler House
|1145 Marietta Ave
|Ferry Graber House
|1205 Marietta Ave
|Liegh P. Helm House
|1207 Marietta Ave
|1209 Marietta Ave
|1305 Marietta Ave
|Hershey Farmstead (Conestoga House)
|1608 Marietta Ave
|1630 Millersville Pike
|Philip Bausman House
|1631 Millersville Pike
|48 North President Ave
|48 N President Ave
|Andreas Graeff House
|1200 Ranck Mill Road
|2051 Rice Road
|2051 Rice Road
|Richard Rohrer House
|1405 Ridge Road
|Dr. Paul Snoke House
|1410 Ridge Road
|120 N School Lane
|128 N School Lane
|Henning J. Prentis House
|151 N School Lane
|Williamson Carriage House
|1000 Wheatland Ave
|1103 Wheatland Ave
|1103 Wheatland Ave
|John C. Hager House
|1110 Wheatland Ave
25 Bentley Lane – Established around 1721
The “Abraham Herr House” was built around 1721 by Abraham Herr, a son of Hans Herr. It is a two and a half story, four bay Germanic style stone farmhouse, covered with rough cast stucco, steeply pitched roof, two front entrances, rare stone window frame, and vaulted basement. The central chimney is now gone, and the present woodwork is nineteenth century. The oldest part of the house is very similar to the 1719 Hans Herr House in West Lampeter Township.
Abraham Herr (son of Hans Herr and Elizabeth Kendig) was born about 1672 in Mannheim, Germany. He arrived by ship in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from Europe, on August 24, 1717.
On October 12, 1719, Abraham Herr and his Brother, Hans, petitioned James Steel for a grant of 400 acres for their brother, Isaac, who had recently arrived. In the 1720s, according to the estimates of architectural historians, Abraham built a house that still stands at 25 Bentley Lane in Lancaster Township near Millersville on land that went to his son, Rudy.
Abraham Herr died before December 16, 1725.
27 Bentley Lane – Circa 1800
This two and one-half story home is a four bay stone farmhouse with two paneled front entrances, end chimneys. The unusual vaulted tunnel in the basement leads to a water source.
930 Buchanan Avenue – Circa early 1900s
This C. Emlen Urban designed Tudor residence is two and one-half stories. the center entry door, with a stone surround, includes a central projecting gable that extends into the red tiled roof, flanked by two small dormers. There are corbelled end chimneys, and the upper stories are half timbered, lower is stone.
1008 Buchanan Avenue – Established 1926
This Colonial Revival building, with stuccoed brick walls, sits across the street from the personal residence of C. Emlen Urban, and shares some similar characteristics, including a pent roof across the ground-floor facade, which continues across the recessed side wing, and two wide end chimneys.
1009 Buchanan Avenue – Established 1914
The “C. Emlen Urban House” sits on a corner lot facing Buchanan Park. The house was designed by Lancaster’s leading architect of that period, C. Emlen Urban, and was his personal residence. Although Urban was known for his lavishly styled commercial buildings, he built this home in a conservative but refined Colonial Revival style.The house’s ground floor is built of stone, with a stucco treatment on the second level. The building has a five bay east facade facing Race Avenue, with a pent roof above the first floor that is broken by a pedimented hood over the entry door. In front of the living room there are two left bays containing two double-hung windows. The front of the dining room features a bay window comprised of five windows. Two arched-top dormers with three casement windows sit atop the steep side-gable roof. There are integral chimneys at each end of the house. There is a one-story sun porch facing Buchanan Avenue, and two-story sheltered alcove porch on the other side.Urban occupied this house from 1914 until his death in 1939.
1019 Buchanan Avenue – Circa 1916
The “Hugh Clark House” is a two and one-half story home was designed by Philadelphia architect, William C. Pritchett. It is a three bay Tudor Revival style brick house, with triple Queen Anne style lower sash. L-shaped with triple windows on projecting ell, one story polygonal bay on long end, projecting entry has cast cement door surround and pediment.
1056 Buchanan Avenue – Circa 1920’s
This is a two story modified Colonial Revival style stucco house. Hipped tile roof, five bays with round arch central doorway, six over nine sash below, six over six above, belt course, flanked by projecting Tuscan columned porticos.
1060 Columbia Avenue – Established 1924
The “Maxwell House” is a two and one-half story Dutch Colonial style stone and frame home. Full dormer in gambrel roof, six over one sash, sidelights below three bays with a central doorway and hood. There are quarter round windows in the attic; outside chimneys. This is the last Lancaster house designed by Philadelphia architect, William C. Pritchett.
1063-1065 Columbia Avenue – Established mid 1800’s
“St. Mary’s Academy” is said to have been built by John Daveler, Sr. before 1859. It was a school for boys operated by Mr. and Mrs. John H.B. Wagner from 1874 until 1882, and known as “Barnard Place.” Later, it was owned by St. Mary’s Orphan Asylum from 1882 until 1894, and then converted to a double house in 1908 by Hugh R. Fulton. It is a two and one-half story brick house.
The “Weber Carriage House” is a two-story, five bay stucco carriage house. A Spanish Colonial style with hipped tile roof, four-light casement windows, cupola with bell, pointed arch window above the central doorway, and a garage door on the front. It was once the carriage house for Nevin Mansion on site of the present synagogue. The carriage house was rebuilt for local jeweler, George R. Weber, from designs by Philadelphia architect, William C. Pritchett.
1136 Columbia Avenue – Established 1909
The first known occupant of the “James Laird Brown Mansion” was James Laird Brown, a man of Scottish descent. Indications are that he bought the brick mansion house for $18,000 in January 1909. Census records show Brown and his wife, Katherine, lived at the manor with their five children, ranging in age from 14 to 22. Brown was the manager and eventual president of Manor Mills, a silk mill on Manor Street. The mill supplied fabric for the Follmer, Clogg and Co., umbrella manufacturer. In 1937, Brown’s son, James Laird Brown Jr., was assistant general manager and assistant treasurer of Follmer, Clogg and Co.
The house is thought to have been built by William C. Pritchett, a Philadelphia-based architect who also designed the First United Methodist Church and other prominent homes in Lancaster. The building is in the Tudor Revival style, but does have some interior details that are Georgian, drawn from late Italian Renaissance sources, as can be seen on the spindles on the oak stair railing that lines the second floor hallway.
The wood carvings, the stained-glass coats of arms, thick pocket doors, leaded diamond windows, and the Gothic Revival doorways in the playroom are of England’s design. The house was designed to make a statement about the affluence and prominence of the owner, and the great room’s terra cotta fireplace greeted guests who walked through the castle-like front door. The heavy wood detailing continues into the dining room, framing a floor-to-ceiling alcove of stained-glass and leaded diamond windows, a marble fireplace and built-in china closets. Even the ceiling in the dining room is patterned in deep wood squares. The heavy wood carving literally climbs with stairs to the third floor.
In 1927, Brown’s unmarried daughter, Kitty, was given the house for $1 by her mother. Kitty then sold the property in 1944 to Abe Karlip, a prominent self-employed businessman, for $1. According to deeds, Karlip sold the property to Harry H. Wiggins, owner of Wiggins Chevrolet, for $37,000, that same day.
Wiggins owned the home until 1968 when he sold the carriage house to General Daniel Strickler, and the mansion to Peter DeLaurentis for $60,000. In 1972, Charles T. Riley bought the house, together with Donald and Helen Beck, for $90,000. Three years later, he bought out the Becks’ half for $50,000, and persuaded the township to allow him to turn the mansion into apartments. The township agreed as long as the outside stayed the same.
Ralph Wilton, owner of Wilton Armetale Serveware in Wrightsville, and his sons became the primary renters until 1986, when Wilton died. Dorothy Shand, wife of the former owner of Watt & Shand department store, became the last prominent tenant.
1140 Columbia Avenue – Circa 1802-1807/Circa 1826
“Abbeville,” also known as Mt. Pleasant, is a historic home located in Lancaster Township. The original home began as a small stone building sometime between 1755-1756, and is a two-story, stuccoed stone section measuring 20 feet by 17 feet.
In 1790, John Stoner, a prosperous miller, enlarged the home to a 2 1/2-story, five bay by three bay Georgian style dwelling built in front of the earlier section. In 1826, at the age of 50 years old, Langdon Cheves purchased the house and two side wings were added on either side of the 1790 section. He used it as his summer retreat.
The home was operated as a private school from 1835 until the late 1840’s; later owned by Hager department store family.
Also on the property are a contributing smokehouse (c. 1825), stable (c. 1875), and carriage house (c. 1875). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
For more information on the origins of Abbeville Mansion, click here.
375 S. Conestoga Drive – Established 1805/1806
“Jacob Miller House” — Jacob Miller, an early industrialist, established his property in 1806. The house is a 2 1/2 story, four bay brick Federal house, two dormers, gable pent eaves, bel course, brick jack arches over windows with stone keystones, twelve over twelve sash on the second floor, central entrance with fluted pilasters. The flanking lower windows with sidelights are later Classical Revival remodeling.
Jacob Miller was Lancaster’s first industrialist and built the now-lost Lancaster Cotton Works in 1812. Remains of the city’s first waterworks on the property.
The stone, Colonial-style tenant house on the Jacob Miller property at 385 S. Conestoga Drive, was built between 1775 and 1790.
900 East King Street – Established 1799
“Lancaster County House of Employment,” also known as Old County Hospital Building No. 1, is a historic building. It was built in 1799-1801, and is a two-story, 15 bay wide stuccoed stone building. It has a full width front porch with Tuscan order columns, added about 1875-1876. The same renovation added Gothic Revival style details. It has been in continuous ownership by Lancaster County since its construction. Owned by the county since 1799, and the second oldest hospital building in the United Sates. Carpenters were William Hensel and George Brungard of Lancaster; Masons were Charles and Thomas Wilson of Chester County.It was built as a poor house and used as the House of Employment until 1876, when it was converted to a hospital. It later housed county offices.
1501 East King Street – Circa 1790’s
An inn was first constructed at this location in 1741. Witmer’s Tavern, now the Conestoga Restaurant and Bar, was established by Abraham Witmer after the Revolutionary War. The name and owners changed many times, but the name Conestoga Inn was used most often.It is a two and one-half story, six bay stone tavern, now covered with formstone, replacement sash, and non-original pent roof. It was a major stopping place from Philadelphia to Lancaster. Abraham Witmer also built a stone arch bridge across the Conestoga River.
1001 Marietta Avenue – Circa pre-1899
The “Gustave Groezinger House” is a two and one-half story, three bay golden brick Georgian Revival house. It has two dormers flank cross gable with fanlight window, a deep cornice with modillions, Paladian window above the central doorway, keystone lintels, one rounded bay on the second floor, a central chimney, and a veranda with Tuscan columns. Gustave Groezinger lived here in 1903.
1015 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1894
The “H.L. Raub House” is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Georgian Revival house. Central entry flanked by sidelights, lunettes in gable peaks, one over one sash, flat brick lintels with stone keystones. Deep cornice with dentils and modillions, porch with projecting entry and Tuscan columns. The house was designed by James H. Warner and built by Herman Wohlsen. It is one of the first of this style in Lancaster County.
1021 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1889
The “James Rose House” is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Tudor Revival house with half-timbering in cross gables, Queen Anne style window sash, corbelled chimney. The original porch was removed and brick arcade added. The house appears in the 1891 publication Art Work of Lancaster.
1023 Marietta Avenue – Established 1899
The “Joseph U. Fritchey House” is a two and one-half story, three bay brick Queen Anne house with projecting gable and dormer, dentilled cornice, one over one sash, veranda with pedimented entry and porte cochere. Joseph Fritchey was a paving contractor, and this is one of the first suburban houses west of the city.
1024 Marietta Avenue – Established 1895
The “John W. Cooper House” is a two and one-half story, three bay brick house with hipped roof, round turret on front corner with diamond patterned brickwork porch and porte cochere, central stepped gable, transomed windows.
1025 Marietta Avenue – Established 1906
The “J. Calvin Shutte House” is a three-bay, three-story brick house characterized by its balanced symmetry. Like the eclectic turn-of-the-century Victorian styles, this house reflects an Edwardian eclecticism that borrowed from the Tudor Revival style, based on small English manor houses, while making use of uniquely American details and Colonial Revival ornamentation.
The house’s central entry porch, with paired fluted columns, is flanked by two cross gables containing two-story polygonal bay windows with crenelated roof lines. The windows and doors are framed with sandstone trim, and the paired end chimneys feature sandstone caps. There is a side porch on the east elevation and a porte cochere on the west façade.
John Calvin Schutte was born in Pennsylvania in 1857. He married Stella Selinda Steele (born 1866) of Lancaster County, PA. This union produced four children, Anna M., Charles Edward, Henry Lewis and James Walter. Charles Edward, the second born child, would later form the Charles Schutte Body Company around 1918.
1035 Marietta Ave – Established in 1896
Additional photos & information, CLICK HERE.
“Roslyn” was built in 1896 by celebrated Lancaster architect, C. Emlen Urban. Mr. Urban was also the designer of many city properties including, but not limited to, Central Market, the Griest Building, Watt & Shand (the soon-to-be convention center), and the Theological Seminary. This beautiful home is listed on the Lancaster County Historical Sites Register as a “Significant Level I” site, meaning the property is “exceptional” or of top importance.
This baronial mansion was designed for Peter T. Watt [1850-1921], one of the co-founders of the Watt & Shand department store in Penn Square. Mr. Watt presented the property to his wife, Laura, on her birthday. The property remained owned by members of the Watt family for over 70 years.
Roslyn is a two and one half story stone Chateauesque house, with irregular bays, stepped gables, round turrets having dormers and conical roofs, six chimneys, balustraded portico with swag motif, porte cochere, interior stained glass by Rudy Brothers of Pittsburgh.
1044 Marietta Avenue – Established pre-1899
The “John F. Brimmer House” is a two and one-half story with three bay brick, a Colonial Revival style. Hipped roof, two story turret on front corner, corbelled chimneys. Central entry with sidelights is flanked by pilasters and topped with pediment, twelve over one sash.
1109 Marietta Avenue – Established 1898
The “Ira Arnold House” is a two and one-half story, four bay brick and shingle Foursquare house. Hipped roof with hipped roof dormer on each side, wide eaves, hipped roof porch with paired columns. The house was built by Herman Wohlsen.
1120 Marietta Avenue – Established 1828
For 20 years, “Wheatland“ was the beloved home of the 15th President of the United States, James Buchanan. Buchanan developed a deep affection for Wheatland, and enjoyed the luxuries and peacefulness of the home during the difficulties of public life. The mansion also served as the Democratic headquarters during the 1856 presidential campaign. Buchanan gave his first campaign address to the townspeople gathered on the front lawn.
During his presidency, Buchanan returned to Wheatland sporadically. He retired to Wheatland in 1861, after the election of Abraham Lincoln and the end of his term as President. Buchanan died at Wheatland in a room on the second floor on June 1, 1868.
Wheatland is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Federal house, central entry with fanlight and hipped roof portico, Flemish bond brickwork, classical Revival style window over the doorway, flanking brick wings with similar windows and shed roofs. The home was built in 1828 for local lawyer William Jenkins. It was sold in 1841 to William M. Meredith, and changed hands again in 1848 when it was purchased by U.S. President James Buchanan.
The interior of Wheatland is furnished as it would have been in the mid-19th Century, with most of the furniture being original to the house. As Wheatland has never been significantly altered or remodeled, other than the installation of modern lighting and heating, it provides an accurate view of the lifestyle in the Victorian era.
Wheatland is open to the public Monday-Saturday from President’s Day through mid-November, with tours available hourly. For information, contact LancasterHistory.org or call (717) 392-4633.
1145 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1930
The “Sanderson Detwiler House” is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Georgian Revival house. It has a central entry with fluted pilasters supporting pediment, six over six sash, stone keystones over the windows, wings, and porticos on side. Sanderson Detwiler was an Armstrong executive.
1207 Marietta Avenue – Established 1931
The “Liegh P. Helm House” is a two and one-half story, five bay stone Colonial Revival house, central entry under pediment containing Palladian window, pent roof, eight over eight sash, five bay window on one side of the lower front facade.
This 1931 stone mansion graces a one acre lot near President Buchanan’s residence in Lancaster Township’s School Lane Hills. According the the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County, this Colonial Revival Mansion is situated in an area that is on the National Register and is noted as a significant property.
The mansion was built as the residence of Leigh P Helm. Helm was associated with Raub Supply. The mansion was designed by local architect Melvern R. Evans of Lancaster. He was the grandson of John Hantch Evans, Lancaster’s first architect.
1209 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1930
“Oaklyn” is a two and one-half story, three bay brick Colonial Revival house. There is a projecting central bay with two story pedimented portico supported by fluted columns. Balustraded verandas on each side, brick quoins, eight-light windows in sets of three with stone keystones above.
1305 Marietta Avenue – Established early 1800s
The “Herr Farmstead” is a two and one-half story, five bay brick farmhouse rebuilt in the Colonial Revival style by Herbert B. Weaver. The property was subdivided into School Lane Hills after 1926.
1608 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1812, Rebuilt after 1927
“Hershey Farmstead” (Conestoga House) is a two and one-half story, seven bay stone farmhouse, rebuilt after 1927 in the Colonial Revival style by James Hale Steinman, owner of Lancaster Newspapers and WGAL. The main entry has fluted pilasters and scrolled pediment. Five original bays of the house are scored stucco, two eastern bays are brick. Mostly twelve over twelve sash, flanking wing and polygonal bay.
The Steinmans purchased the land, including the original house and several outbuildings, in 1927. Shorly after, Frank Everts, a Lancaster architect, commissioned to design extensive additions and modifications, creating Conestoga House as it appears today. Conestoga House was home to the Steinman family for over 50 years, even after Colonel Steinman’s death in 1962. As a part of his legacy, the house and grounds were incorporated as part of the James Hale Steinman Conestoga House Foundation.
1630 Millersville Pike – Circa 1805/1836
“Bausman Farmstead” is a one and one-half story, four bay brick Federal farmhouse. Flemish bond brickwork, large shed-roofed ell and kitchen, round arched entry with fanlight, two dormers, nine over six sash on first floor. The original part of the house was probably built for John Bausman, and part built for Jacob Peeters (Peters). Also on the property are a one and one-half story stone house dating from circa 1775, and a reticulated brick end barn, built in the early 1800s.
1631 Millersville Pike – Established 1879
The “Philip Bausman House” (Bausman Mansion) is a two and one-half story, three bay brick dwelling in the Late Victorian style. It includes two pedimented dormers, modillioned cornice, 1879 datestone, corbelled chimneys, porch with paried tuscan columns, two story polygonal bay on side. The mansion was built by John Bausman for his son Philip, an inventor. Much of the original interior woodwork remains.
John Bausman, Philip’s father, was born in 1780, in Freilaubersheim, in the Palatinate, Germany. His parents were named Henry and Barbara Bausman. He emigrated to America in 1802, and settled in Lancaster County. In 1805 he married Elizabeth Peters and raised a numerous and very respectable family. He was a shoemaker, by trade, and fought in the battle of 1812.
48 North President Avenue – Circa 1930
This home on “48 North President Avenue” is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Georgian Revial house, central entry with elliptical fanlight and pediment, sidelights, three dormers, brick quoins, lunette windows in gable peaks.
1200 Ranck Mill Road – Established 1767
Built in 1767, the “Andreas Graeff House” is a two and one-half story, five bay stone formal Germanic farmhouse. There is a 1767 datestone, central entry, twelve over twelve sash, gable pent eaves, and two dormers.
Graeff was a leader in the Moravian community.
2051 Rice Road – Established 1806
This is a two and one-half story, five bay stone farmhouse, central entry, twelve over eight sash, 1806 datestone. There are some alternations including a non-original pent roof. This was a Frantz property during the 1800s.
1405 Ridge Road – Established 1928
The “Richard Rohrer House” is a two and one-half story, three bay stone Colonial Revival style house, central entry flanked by two bow windows, 1928 datestone, facade dormers above. It is one of the earliest houses on Ridge Road. The house was designed by Frank Everts for Richard Rohrer, owner of a local printing company. Frank Everts is the architect who also designed the additions and modifications of the Conestoga House.
1410 Ridge Road – Circa 1940
This is a two and one-half story, five baby stone Georgian Revival house. Central gables projecting bay with upper window set in blind arch above the doorway. Entry flanked by plain engaged columns, twelve over eight sash on first floor, eight over eight sash on second floor. Recessed ell and porch. Built by a Philadelphia architect; might have been influenced by Whitby Hall which once stood near the city.
120 North School Lane – Established 1906
The “Herr-Zimmerman House” is a two and one-half story, six bay brick Georgian Revival style house. Designed by prominent architect William C. Pritchett of Philadelphia for Lancaster realtor Alan. A. Herr by William C. Pritchet and modified by the Zimmerman family in the 1920s and 1930s. It is now the official residence of the president of Franklin and Marshall College. The exterior is simple in comparison to the elaborate interior including the library ceiling, the domed conservatory attributed to Tiffany of New York, and the tripartite arches and stairway in the entry hall.
128 North School Lane – Established 1897
“Edenson” was built in 1897. It is a two story, five bay stone Beaux Arts house, with unusual salmon-colored stone. The flat roof is topped by a central cupola. The central entry includes four Corinthian columns with elliptical fanlight and sidelights. The entry is flanked by one story balustraded bays. Windows have sidelights and leaded glass transoms. The home was designed for the Davidson family by James H. Warner, who also designed the Central Market in Lancaster.
151 North School Lane – Established 1926
The “Henning J. Prentis House” is a two story, eight bay T-shaped brick house, hipped roof, six over six sash set in blind arches on first floor. Built for the president of Armstrong Cork, U.S. President Herbert Hoover was entertained here in 1942.
Wabank Road -Circa 1730-1760
The “Greider-Hershey House” is a two and a one-half story, four bay stuccoed stone Germanic farmhouse. Six over six sash, alterations include the loss of the central chimney, and the added two bay stone entry. An early example of adaptive reuse, the house now serves as the office for the Hershey Heritage Village apartment complex. Behind the main house, an early 1800s stone outbuilding also survives on the same property.
The “Williamson Carriage House” is a one and one-half story stone carriage house, half timbered gables, porte cochere on southern end, two bowed windows on second floor. It accompanied the Williamson Mansion which was demolished in the 1970s to make room for an apartment complex. It was designed by James H. Warner, and built by Herman Wohlsen for Lancaster merchant Henry Stackhouse Williamson.
He was born of English Quaker ancestry on February 27, 1853 in Morrisville, Bucks County, PA. After finishing high school, Henry began a merchandising career in the clothing business in Wilmington, Delaware. Later, in partnership with a friend, he opened his own business in Harrisburg. With the success of that business, he then established a store in Lancaster. His partner withdrew from the business a few short years later. With two stores being a burden on his health, Henry sold the Harrisburg store. The Williamson department store was a continued success, and Henry eventually sold it to his former partner and another individual.
He founded The Recreation Commission, leading to the free playgrounds of Lancaster. He was President of the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce, a trustee at Franklin and Marshall College, and a director at Stevens Trade School. Henry still lived in Lancaster and was 64 years old when he died on May 20, 1917.
1103 Wheatland Avenue – Established 1911
A two and one-half story, five bay brick Georgian Revival house. Flemish bond facade, keystoned lintels, six over six sash, porch with Tuscan columns, three dormers, paneled central entry with elliptical fanlight and sidelights.
1110 Wheatland Avenue – Established 1899
The “John C. Hager House” is a two and one-half story, four over three bay frame Colonial Revival house, hipped roof with three part central dormer, topped by balustrade, nine over six sash on the first floor, six over six sash on the second floor. Modillioned cornice, central entry with fanlight and sidelights, hipped roof porch with Doric columns.
The house was designed by William C. Pritchett for John C. Hager of the Hager Brothers Department Store. The Hager Brothers Department Store (now known as the Hager Building) was built by Lancaster architect C. Emlen Urban.